Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Heritage Museum exhibit

I went to the Hong Kong Heritage Museum with my friend Louise a couple weekends ago. The museum is in Sha Tin and had an exhibit "The Golden Age of Couture: Paris and London 1947-1957". Illustrations, fabric, notions, garments, film, photography were included in the extensive collection from London's V&A museum.
Having studied many of the garments in textbooks and websites, it was so neat to see them up close, on mannequins with pointy busts and itty bitty waists. The New Look really controlled the female form- I'm glad the exhibit had a window displaying and explaining undergarments because I was continually awestruck by the size of the waists on the garments. Seeing a photo of a model is one thing, seeing the actual garment is another!
In the second gallery we visited, my heart literally skipped a beat when I turned a corner and saw dolls from Théâtre de la Mode. Perhaps not shocking to see them in an exhibition about couture, but I couldn't get over how crazy the situation was: learning about the dolls in tiny Rhode Island, flying to Hong Kong 2 years later and seeing them from V&A Museum in London. I guess the little ladies are accustomed to travel though.

No comments:

Post a Comment