Sunday, August 30, 2009

I was amused

basically cried on the street when I saw this. Not only are they original and handmade by Christian Joy, but they really made me homesick for an attitude I seldom see here: "I don't care what others think of me". The past 2 months have been a crisis, a learning experience, and meditative period. I have felt a bit lost, but found scatters bits of what I feel is special and I identify with.. some old photos from junk markets, a Rita Chao record, postcards from Japan, conversation with relatives, red goldfish kite, paisley trainers, an amazing internship which has really flexed my brain and social muscles.

Yet it can be lonely and this is what my dad warned me of. Despite the fact that HK boasts such an international attitude, I somehow feel left out and it really gets to me. How can so many people care what others think of their outward appearances? It makes me question, should I care too? Have I dumbed down my style? What is my style in a society that (generally) does not embrace old/used goods?

Seeing these outfits really shook me and I'm glad they had that impact-they are monstrous, they are forceful and they demand attention, and I'm sure some people walked past them without a second thought.

I know the glare in these photos are horrible, but shop keepers wouldn't let me take photos inside. (1-4 "The Visitors Must Be Amused" by Christian Joy for Karen O at On Pedder)

No comments:

Post a Comment